Once you send your documentation and required tests, doctor will determine if you are candidate for this procedure. Not achieving pregnancy after a year (or 6 months for older women) of sexual relations might indicate some problem. You might require assisted reproductive technology (ART).
In Vitro FertilisationIn a laboratory the union of the ovum and the spermatozoon is made to fertilize embryos and transfer them to the uterus. It can be done with semen from the partner or donated semen. It will depend on the grade of infertility, genetic problems or women not having a male partner.
DESCRIPTION OF THE PROCEDURE
There are five steps:
- 1. Ovulation induction (stimulation with medications)
- 2. Egg collection with follicular aspiration
- 3. Sperm preparation
- 4. Insemination (sperm and eggs are placed in incubators).
- 5. Embryos transfer into the uterus (one to six days later)
It improves succesful fertilisations by introducing sperm cells directly into an egg. Assisted reproductive techniques have helped to birth more than three million babies worldwide.
Delaying these kind of treatments might result in a more difficult pregnancy and birth risks as you are getting older. Some Alternatives are:
- ICSI (Intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection)
- Intrauterine insemination (IUI)
- Gamete Intra-Fallopian Transfer (GIFT)
- In vitro maturation (IVM)
- Fertility drugs
- Adoption or foster care
Every procedure has its own risks. 95% of patients will have no complication during a procedure, but it is necessary to know about them. It is important to compare risks to potential benefits.
COMMONS RISKS (2-5 PATIENTS OUT OF 100)
- Multiple pregnancy (risks to the mother and the embryos)
LESS COMMONS RISKS (1-2 PATIENTS OUT OF 100)
- Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) painful ovaries
- Bleeding and infection
- Ectopic pregnancies (destruction of the fetus)
RARE RISKS (LESS THAN 1 PATIENT OUT OF 100)
- Severe OHSS requiring hospitalization
- Bowel and bladder damaging
- Severe abdominal pain
- Severe nausea
- Shortness of breath
- Dark-colored urine
After IVF treatment resting and careful monitoring is required to determine the succes of the implantation and pregnancy. Post treatment requires resting and recovery.